Practice safe sleep habits for your infant.
We encourage you to use safe sleep habits with your baby, and to share them with caregivers:
- Always place your baby on their back. An easy way to remember this is to think about putting your baby “back to sleep.”
- Share the same bedroom during the infant’s first year of life (but not the same bed).
- Only baby goes in the crib; no toys, blankets or other items.
- Provide tummy time while supervised.
- A pacifier can be used once breastfeeding is established or after one month of age.
- Keep room temperature between 65 and 71 degrees. Do not over-bundle your baby when sleeping.
- Do not smoke in your house.
- Do not leave children sleeping in a car seat or other infant seat.
- Do not cover car seats with a blanket or other materials.
For more information about safe sleep practices or the Marion and Polk Infant Safe Sleep Coalition, contact the Marion County Health Department at (503) 588-5357 or email them: