Rain, rain, stay and play…let’s splish splash in puddles all day! No matter how much we cross our fingers for a break in the rainy weather, the forecast predicts continuous showers for at least the next 10 days. Oh, yes. . .Marion and Polk county families are smack dab in the middle of wet and gusty weather this December. Rain and gloomy weather often triggers feelings of wanting to stay indoors and relax with a family flick and sip hot chocolate.
However, before you throw in the towel and give into the wet showers, do something spontaneous with little ones and embrace the rainfall of Oregon. A little rain never hurt anyone prepared for the element. It’s time to bring out the layered clothing, yellow raincoats, duck boots, and colorful umbrellas for some fun in the puddles! Below are eight rainy day activities to try with young children that will be sure to get them squealing, “Yes! It’s raining! Let’s go outside!”
- Old fashioned puddle splashing! Get some use out of those rainboots and let children trudge through puddles. Talk to them about how high the water goes up their boots. Ask questions about what makes rain puddles. Create ripples!
- Bring items out to test what sinks and floats on the puddles. Use what’s readily available like leaves, sticks, stones, etc.
- Listen to the sound of the rain as it hits their umbrellas, the tops of their rain hats, or the roof of the house. Talk about rhythms and sing favorite songs.
- Set out cups with measurement marks to catch rain and predict how much liquid will collect.
- Feel the rain on your face. Tray to catch raindrops in your mouth.
- Go on a sidewalk journey and see what kind of creepy, crawly insects have come out to enjoy the wet weather. Careful not to squish them!
- While on the sidewalk, grind up sidewalk chalk into dust to sprinkle on the concrete. Watch the rain make beautiful art as it splashes down.
- If and when the rain finally lets up, go outside and search for rainbows.
The Parenting Hub would love to hear about fun ideas for activities to do in the rain with young children. Please send your comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Play in a Puddle on a Rainy Day!
20 Ways to Play in the Rain
8 Fun Things to Do in the Rain
10 Ideas for Getting Outside on Rainy Days
25 Games and Activities for Play in the Rain